There are plenty of ways to make your new apartment green and save some of the green stuff in the process. Some of the most effective ways to make your apartment and life more green are simple choices you make everyday. Here a couple of simple tips that you can do to make your apartment greener and save some cash.
- Raise that Thermostat. By raising the temperature on your thermostat, you can save yourself a few dollars off of your electricity bill. While we don’t recommend shutting the air off entirely in the Florida humidity, if you are gone for a few days you can push the temperature up a few degrees to save money.
- Unplug. Turning off your appliances when you are not using them is a good idea. However, appliances that are plugged in, even if they are off, are still using electricity. By unplugging unused appliances, you can save even more on electricity.
- Walk or Bike. Depending on your location in Tampa, walking or biking to many places can be a great alternative to driving. Tampa traffic can certainly be a pain, and biking or walking can help you avoid this headache. For someone commuting in Tampa, the bus may be a more viable option. For many young professionals that live downtown or in SoHo, biking is a popular mode of transportation.
- Paperless Billing. The majority of companies now offer a paperless billing option. This will still allow you to see all your statements as you normally would online, but eliminates excess mail and paper waste.
- Ligh Bulbs. While apartments generally come equipped with light bulbs, it may be a good idea to switch out the incandescent bulbs with Compact Fluorescents. Not only do these bulbs last longer, but also emit less heat. This will help greatly if your thermostat is turned up a couple degrees, and help combat energy costs.
With these few simple changes to your everyday routine, you can help save yourself some cash and live comfortably in a green Tampa apartment.
« Return to Resources.